- Make the maximum point value 1.
- Set the gradebook to display the item as complete/incomplete (instead of as a "score").
- Set the column not to be included in the grade total calculations.
To take attendance:
- Click the column heading in the Gradebook, then click "Item Grade List".
- Give each student who attends class a "1". Leave absentees blank.
Here's a video showing how to set up attendance columns in the Gradebook and how to take attendance:
Link to video: http://screencast.com/t/PvionzpXR
(This video includes audio. Please turn up the sound on your computer)
Tip: As in the video, when you set up the column, leave "make item available to users" set to YES, so students can view their own attendance record in the course. Students are only able to view their own attendance records (not the attendance of others).